Green Island Films is an award winning Honolulu-based film production company that specializes in documentaries on hot-button social and political issues.
Pilikia – A Climate for Change, is a series of three one-hour films about climate change in Hawai‘i that are currently in production and due to be released in April, May and June of 2020.
The films are being made in collaboration with Hawaii News Now (HNN), a subsidiary of Gray Television which operates three TV stations in Hawaii: KGMB (CBS), KHNL (NBC), K5 (Ind).
Here are a few edited clips from our scouting material:
Pilikia will draw on the words, work and experiences of real people who live in Hawaii, in order to:
· Show how badly Hawai‘i is already being impacted by climate change & why.
· Show how much worse it could get - but there’s still time to avert the worst.
· Show actions that government, private sector, communities and individuals are already taking.
· Show how Hawai‘i can become a national model of climate response while creating new jobs and businesses.
· Show what you as an individual can do to help drive an agenda of change.
The local footage will be augmented by stories from the US mainland and Europe that are directly relatable to Hawaii – either as warnings or as inspiration.
The idea is to motivate the audience by showing the gravity of the problem and providing a set of tools to become engaged.
We want to give people hope based on real actions that they can take themselves, as individuals and as a members of the community, as consumers with enormous power to influence our consumption habits, and as voters with the power to demand action from elected officials at all levels.